Tuesday, July 1, 2014

So I bought a house...

I've been dying to own a home in The Highlands since the day I moved here, August 16, 2012.  After hours of looking, days of wandering up and down the streets, weeks of waiting and months of saving, I finally found my gem!

Yeah, soooo, it's a beast.  I'm not just saying that in my usual snarky, exaggerated tone.


The Beast (destined to be Beauty)
 
It's full of stains, strange odors, animal and bug carcasses and other random awesomeness, but I couldn't pull myself away.  I made my offer in the middle of April and, thanks to terrible lenders with no idea what they're doing, didn't close until June 30.  Talk about anti-climactic.
 
I've made all the renovation decisions so far and have a contractor to do the following:
  • Gut and reno kitchen
  • Gut and reno bathroom
  • New closets in both bedrooms
  • Raise header to basement
  • Repair coal chute hole in the basement
  • New rear deck
  • New concrete steps
  • Repair all house plaster
  • Paint entire interior
  • New windows throughout
  • Central A/C
Without a contractor I will:
  • Remove and replace all landscaping on the property
  • Replace all lighting fixtures (minus kitchen and bath)
  • Have a driveway installed
  • Have the chimney tuck pointed
The list is certain to grow and my budget is limited.  Enjoy this journey with me!
- Chrissy
 
Kitchen - note the yummy unknown origin stains


Mmmm...more kitchen


Did I mention what happened in this tub?


Guest room


Huge porch


Living room


Dining room


Kitchen - with a self-made skylight


Master bedroom


Master bedroom - lots of windows


Basement 1


Basement 2


"Highlands huge" yard - note the sagging roof over the rotting deck

6 comments:

  1. ❤️ This and you! Can't wait to see progress and you go and I know it will be beautiful masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I thought I was the only one doing his...lol. I am in the same boat here in Iowa... Just keep pressing and pace it..it will all be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I cannot wait to see the transformation! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be one heck of an adventure, but I'm glad I get to be by your side through it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your courageous adventure! What happened in the bathtub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooohhh, Jamie! Stay tuned for that story...

      Delete