Saturday, August 2, 2014

Bureaucracy, Shmureaucracy!

I had to leave work early to meet Nick at the house yesterday.

The concrete guy was there tidying up the finish work to the front steps.  He quoted a mere $2,200 for redoing the sidewalk from the street to the steps and adding a 10'x40' driveway!  Having your own off-street parking in the Highlands is like having Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket--eat your heart out Veruca Salt!  (work to begin soon)

Nick rode with me downtown to the city planning offices to beg for get a building permit for the new bathroom.  We left at 1 pm, found meter parking, showed our IDs, signed in and waited...for over an hour, just to see someone.

Around 2:30 pm, we were instructed to go to cubicle #7.  There sat a man, with his feet up, talking hurriedly on his cell and barking instructions.  He glanced at us long enough to snap, "Did you ask for me by name?"  This was not a good sign.

Of course, Nick answered in his quiet voice, "No.  We're just looking to get a building permit."

I left once during this exchange to feed the meter for another hour and a half, but it turns out this guy had hundreds of blood clots and needed surgery and was waiting for someone to come drive him to Cleveland for this special procedure.  Why was he at work???

He explained that he had over two years of plans and reports he hadn't filed because he just didn't have the time and others there didn't do their job right.  Looking at this pile, I guess we lucked out with cubicle #7:

This image doesn't do justice to the amount of papers...everywhere.
Nick shared the drawing of the proposal "I" was making.  Apparently, if its contractor requested, it has to be architectural renderings.  If it's home owner requested, you can draw it in crayon on a napkin and you're cool.

Nick mathed his pants here.  This is why I'm not a contractor.
In the end, Harold, the permits office angel, was really nice and thorough.  He quizzed Nick on code and tried to trip him up on R ratings and pitches and spacing and stuff.  Harold was really impressed with Nick's knowledge and told me several times how fortunate I was to have him.  Duh, tell me something I don't know!

Harold was really happy I was fixing this house up and keeping it in the style it was intended to be.  He even said, "This sounds weird, but God's gonna bless you for this."  Yeah, that was unexpected, but not weird--maybe coming from a city worker about a house...

Harold, the City Angel
Three hours after arrival, we left the city offices.  We also now had Harold's business card and cell phone number and we're instructed to call him anytime we have questions or need help.

I wanted Nick to take a pic with me and my new permit, but he just scoffed at me and walked to the car.  <disappointed face>

No comments:

Post a Comment