Monday, August 4, 2014

It's the Little Things

Do you take the time to show gratitude in your life for the little things?  I know I certainly find other distractions from appreciating small wins--more often, I focus on the fails or bumps along the way.

From the coworker who takes on one of your daunting tasks when they see you overwhelmed to the barista that gives you a bonus espresso shot on a busy morning--good things are all over the place.

My trip to the city offices Friday was an inconvenience.  I was there with the contractor for the better part of the afternoon and I managed to leave my title work and loan paperwork portfolio on the worker's desk. #fail

Even with all the chaos, Harold, from the permit office, quizzed and verified that Nick was, indeed, a sharp tack AND I got to know lots about Nick!  We were able to chat about the house he's building for his wife, toddler and baby-to-be.  I also learned that Nick's a young hippie at heart.  He eats organic produce and grass fed meat and also makes his own kombucha and kefir.  Who knew?!

Remember the oil cistern debacle?  Removing the tank and connecting pipe left several holes in the clapboard siding.  Nick used recycled pieces from the porch demo to do this for me, just because:


Look ma!  No holes!
The Bobcat and I spent this weekend removing tape that the old homeowner used as "insulation/caulk" around ALL the millwork--thirty years ago.
Masking tape > caulk?

Crap be gone! (and look at those stains on the wall...gross me out)
We also pulled down all the switch/outlet covers and light fixtures.  I started the paint job on the salvaged chandelier...
Mambo Coral--a work in progress
Harold called me at 7 am to let me know I'd left the file on his desk and if I'd come downtown he'd be happy to bring it out to me so I wouldn't have to pay for parking.  An angel, I tell you! 

Oh, and Nick called to update.  Don't worry Uncle Guy...the project passed City of Louisville building inspection with flying colors this morning!  He also informed me that HE had gone down and picked up my missing folder.  A saint!

I am so very thankful for the little things!

2 comments: